Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hello, and Welcome to Sensory Confusion

This blog is about food and wine, and sometimes poetry. The name, Synesthesia Mei, is actually from two different languages which is, I think, fitting, given the meaning. Synesthesia is the Greek word for sensory confusion. In poetry it means using one sense to describe another, like in this:

O, to take what we love inside,
to carry within us an orchard, to eat
not only the skin, but the shade,
not only the sugar, but the days, to hold
the fruit in our hands, adore it, then bite into
the round jubilance of peach.
(Li-Young Lee's "From Blossoms")

In medicine, it is when one confuses senses: eg., words taste like peaches. Mei is the Latin first person possessive: I here claim the confusions of my life!
Together, they mean this: I confuse food and wine with love. Really. Come have a meal with me, with lots of good, good wine, and I will be convinced by the end of the night that I love you. Some call this intoxication; I call it synesthesia.
My eventual goal here is to create menus matched with wines that convey a meaning, as perfectly as possible; passion, grief, zeal, hilarity, despair, &c. In the end I hope to match these menus with poems that will resonate, note for note, line for line, flavor for flavor, with a harmony of our senses. In the meantime, here is synesthesia mei.

2 comments: